First Blog

 Hello, everyone! My name is Gwen Lockwood. I am a first year student at UAF and I am thinking of majoring in History with a minor in either Fisheries or Environmental Politics. I am 18 years old. Currently, I am living on campus in Fairbanks, but I have lived in Juneau, Alaska for most of my life. I have two dogs and one cat. In the summer, I can usually be found on the ocean somewhere, running my own fishing boat, or spending time at my family's set net site in Bristol Bay. In the winters, I can usually be found skiing and working as a ski instructor. Unfortunately, this year I tore my ACL. I decided to take this class because I think it is important for me to find new appreciations that are more accessible to me while I am all but bed-ridden. 


My relationship to art is quite minimal. I have a great appreciation for it, but don't completely consider myself an artist. In high school, I took quite a few art classes. I took a couple of years of Alaska Native Design in which we focused on Tlingit painting, carving, and artistic writing. I even had a painting featured in the Walter Soboleff Building on the Sealaska Heritage Institute of Arts in Juneau. I also took Ceramics classes throughout my entire high school career with the exception of my last semester in which I was a TA for a freshman year Ceramics 1 class. Overall, I would say that I greatly enjoy art and have an appreciation for any form of art, especially those I can relate more to; including Alaskan artists Rie Munoz (featured above) or Ray Troll. 

In my hometown of Juneau, a high priority is put on education of the arts. I have chosen to include a link to the Sealaska Heritage Institute of Art webpage which features upcoming art programs and opportunities as well as beautiful examples of art made by local Southeast Alaskans. 

Link to Sealaska Art Programs

Comments

  1. Good news - I tore my ACL close to 40 years ago. It hasn't stopped me from running, biking, hiking and swimming. I never had it operated on - just got the muscles stronger. You have good taste in art - I have a Rie Munoz print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is so cool! thanks for the encouragement! Rie Munoz is amazing - my family has a ton of her work!!!

      Delete
  2. It's so cool that you had a painting featured in a museum! I think that counts as being an artist for sure! I also enjoy pottery, but sadly I can't find time for it. thank you for showing these cool native artist on your post. I had not heard of them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one of my biggest flexes! Pottery is amazing; I'm with you there. So glad to introduce you to new art!

      Delete
  3. Hi Gwen, so great to meet you and learn a little about who you are! Learning that you run your own commercial fishing boat at 18 is very awesome! It is wonderful to hear of your appreciation of Alaskan art. The Munoz painting you posted is beautiful and I hope you kept some of your ceramic's artwork from high school, it would be great to see some of your pieces! Thank you for sharing the link to the Sealaska Heritage Institute of Art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tamrit! Good to meet you as well. Thank you for all of the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the Sealaska information!!

      Delete
  4. I am sorry to hear that you are bedridden. That is no fun. Last year I tore a ligament in my ankle right before finals and that was not a fun time. I have never been to Juneau, but have always wanted to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohh! What were your finals for? Sorry to hear that, it's not fun at all! Hope you're doing well and fully recovered!

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your injury! I hope you heal quickly! I really like the art you picked out, I think it's a very appealing style with a good use of colours. You have good taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The colors are definitely very appealing. I think it's also just a very nostalgic style for me personally having grown up in Alaska and been exposed to so much of it.

      Delete
  6. Hello Gwen! I think it is awesome that you spend your summers on a fishing boat! I loved Sitka when I was able to visit and I am looking into visiting Juneau. I am sorry to hear about your knee and I hope you get back to skiing soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sitka is wonderful!!! Juneau might be even a little bit better... you'll have to let me know your thoughts once you check it out. Thank you for the kind words! Good to meet you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts